Sunday, January 4, 2009

Best Books of 2008

Traveling in my car to Provo and back (and sitting at home in my bed at night) each day gave me a chance to knock out quite a few books. While the last 4 books are business related the application of each book has been more geared toward my personal life than my business. The first 2 are communication/relationship based and apply mostly to personal lives. Here are the highlights:

1.) Leadership and Self Deception by The Arbinger Institute (VERY POOR TITLE, IT SHOULD BE CALLED SOMETHING LIKE "Getting out of the box, where problems begin"
http://www.arbinger.com/en/bookstore.html#leadershipandselfdeception.

Who should read it: Everyone. This discusses relationships, communication and gives you tools to succeed personally, professionally and religiously.

Pro's: Easy read, written in story form and goes quickly. Very well written. Gives you tools everyone needs, helps take away what I call the "justification card" and helps us realize how to really fix problems.

Cons:
None.

Why I loved it: I was really struggling with one of my work relationships, completely changed it and now it is better.

1a) Crucial Conversations by Vital Smarts
http://www.vitalsmarts.com/crucialconversations_book.aspx

Who should read it: Everyone. This book has helped my family, personal and close friend relationships more than any other book.

Pro's:
Very well done, easy to listen to and immediately applicable. I would listen to one CD, practice the principles, which began to be innate and sincere very quickly. Not a quick fix book, rather a change in approach. Excellent tools that reduce frustration for all parties involved in the relationship.

Cons:
Audio book only

Why I loved it:
Immediate change in how I viewed my relationships, how I fit into them and how to improve them. Separates perception from reality in many ways.

BUSINESS/PROFESSIONAL BOOKS
1.) The 4 hour work week by Timothy Ferriss

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX3eJRwJqlc)
Also see http://fourhourworkweek.com/index.htm

Who should read it: People who would like to be more efficient, change their paradigm on what productivity really is and those who aren't sure what to choose for their goals/those who have a hard time know what they want.

Pro's: Life-changing ideas about how to be productive, good step by step goals setting, first 100 pages was incredible. The BEST book I read this year, hands down. 1-Define, 2-Eliminate, 3-Automation, 4-Liberation.

Cons: The author is a punk, he makes good points, but he is a punk and swears here and there. Last 200 pages focuses on automation/drop shipping and doesn't necessarily apply to all. He is big on travel, I am not.

Why I loved it: My productivity is about 10x better (no exaggeration, literally 10x) since I read the book, stopped multi-tasking and focused on strong/concentrated efforts on tasks. It also help me define better what I want in life, church, family, etc. Also see this video from the book : http://vcr.csrwire.com/node/9964.

2.) Rich Dad Poor Dad, by Robert Kiyosaki.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbXSmusaFOU&feature=PlayList&p=3787826DE513000F&index=1

Who should read it: People who want to understand the importance of FINANCIAL education and how money really works.

Pro's:
Completely changed how I view money, promotes what I would consider gospel principled saving/spending, including tithing. Can be paradigm changing and prepare you to do more. Not a how to book, but rather a how to think book. I re-read it about 2x/year (or listen to it)

Cons: Slow start, written in story form and you may struggle the 1st 1/4 of the book if you a typical 'novel reader'. The truth may hurt at times during this book.

Why I loved it:
Helped me see the world through different eyes, very liberating for me personally and helped shape the direction of my future.

3.) The Cash Flow Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki (Sequel to Rich Dad Poor Dad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk75OUYNvRY

Who should read it: Those who want to understand what the best way to make money is, once you understood how money really works. Also those who want to find out where they would best fit in society, like those trying to decide on a major in school.

Pro's:
Helps you understand the difference between job types, how money flows, taxes and gives you additional financial education.

Cons: He believes that there is a right/wrong way to work, while I may argue that certain people may be happier in certain areas even if they won't make the most money there.

Why I loved it: Incredible book, builds well upon the first book and is the next chapter in your financial education.

4) The E-myth Revisited by Michael Gerber

Who should read it: Anyone who either works at a business or has the desire the start their own large/small business.

Pro's: The Bible of how to start a business the right way, helps those who shouldn't do it decide not to.

Cons:
Michael Gerber has a hard time getting to the point in certain areas of the books and can be long winded, I recommend the audio version for this reason.

Why I loved it: Probably helped me develop my company (Agility Physical Therapy) more than any other book. Best how to book, while the others are more philosophy based.

5.) The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason
http://www.profitadvisors.com/richest.shtml

Who should read it: Everyone, teaches basic principles about money.

Pro's: Short, direct book, with great examples, quick read. Promotes very sound/conservative financial principles.

Con's: Written in an old world English that drove me nuts at times.

Why I loved it: Drove to home the importance of paying yourself first. I don't know that it taught me many new things, but certainly helped me realize the ramifications of poor priorities/habits with regard to finance.

2 comments:

Up in Bubbles said...

If I was to read one of these which one do you recomend first? I have read the Richest man in Babylon as well as the rich dad poor dads.

Good jobs on updating the blog that was quite a treat.

Unknown said...

I think that Leadership and Self Deception is a wonderful book. I first found it at http://www.readhowyouwant.com/pcsWebUI/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=13226, which carries the large print version. I think it can really help one to be more aware of ones self imposed limitations. I think the story form was my favorite part about it. It made the concepts very accessible, and was a pleasure to read.

I also read Rich Dad Poor Dad a while back, but I think I was about twelve, and bored, so I don't remember much of it. I'm planning on reading it again.

It sounds like I should read (or listen to, I suppose) Crucial Conversations too. I'm always trying to find ways to communicate better, especially with my mom.

Thanks for the descriptions.