Sunday, May 25, 2008

Why I Love San Clemente (a.k.a. heaven on earth)


Those of you who know me well, you have probably heard how much I love San Clemente (usually to the point that I annoy you, yes I am aware :] ). Let me give you a few experiences that epitomize why I love it.

Yesterday we went to a gift shop and we were there about 20-30 minutes. About half way through the only guy in the store (I assume it was the owner) goes in the back and brings out a plate with a huge burrito on it and starts eating it next to the register. The register is located in the center of the store. In what I would call a normal/professional setting this would not fly, BUT IN SAN CLEMENTE it is a staple. I love it!! I was thinking, I wish in the middle of a initial evaluation with a patient with a shoulder injury I could get up and bring in huge burrito and be like "Keep telling me about you injury/functional deficits while I pound this burrito" and not have them flinch.

Another time we went to a donut shop for breakfast and the total was $3.46 The shop owner explained that they have a $5.00 minimum to use credit cards, but instead of making me order more food he says "Just come tomorrow and we'll be square" and slams the receipt down on some little spiky thing and gives my food. I was floored!! The next day I went back and explained what had happened the day before. A different guy grabs the spiky thing and asked what my total was. He couldn't find it, but quickly grabbed another receipt and asked "I've got one for 3.20, that is close enough" throws it on and ran my card as if this was standard protocol and occurred all the time.

As we walked around the town, in stores and drove around I can't really say that I found one person that was stressed out. On our first trip a few years ago we actually forgot our cell phone and were wandering around looking for a pay phone. We must have looked distressed because a realtor noticed us and asked if she could help. After explaining our predicament she quickly offerred up her personal cell phone without asking my income range and if was interested in property. This is a realtor folks, no offense to all of your realtors out there, but my experience has been that most realtors are in a similar state to a starved Lion in a beef slaughtering house--pouncing on anythihng that looks remotely good. IT WAS LIKE WE WEREN'T ALLOWED TO BE STRESSED IN THE AREA, TOO MANY BAD VIBES. :]

So this vacation I have wore flip flops (or no shoes), sat on the beach listening to the ocean while watching season 3 of the office. Can life be more complete? I submit to you that it cannot!!

I have bought 3 t-shirts and a sweater with the words "San Clemente" on them and will wear them with great pride. My primary goal in life (besides the really important stuff like being a total awesome dad) is buy property on the San Clemente/Dana Point area on the beach and retire here.

You want to talk about "Chi" & "Zen" we've got plenty out here.

2 comments:

Terri said...

Loved the setting sun picture!! Definately makes me want to be there. It has mostly rained while you have been gone. Glad to hear you are having slow-mo moments. California ia a great place---I can believe that we left there! Love and miss you all, Mom

Up in Bubbles said...

Wow it sure does look pretty. I could also use a good vacation. Why don't you hurry up and get that house so we can all enjoy it while we are young. So while you are getting houses???? J/K I am very excited to see what you guys get. GOod luck!