Saturday, March 21, 2009

Crown Molding...only if you really want to mess with someone

Well, I recently enjoyed the experience of replacing crown molding on an entertainment center we inherited/received from a family member. I gained 2 things from the experience:

1.) If you really, really want to mess with someone's brain, ask them to put up crown molding and return in 2-4 hours. I would suggest only performing such a practical joke on those you wish to truly lose their minds. Also, be prepared for agitation, aggression and profane language upon your return (don't say I didn't warn you, I've even seen bishops turn into sailors).

2.) I am now a true man. For a pencil-pusher/nerd physical therapist that really has no talent when it comes to tools, construction and other 'manly' things, I can say I conquered the beast (and the beast wasn't as scary as I thought).

After concluding that my father in law or brother in law shouldn't have to hold my hand every time I approached a tool, I decided that I would just dive right in. 2 hours at Home Depot, a miter saw, air compression and finish nail gun later I was armed to fight the beast. Being naive I figured this must be simple geometry and cut them at 45 degree angles...after my first cut the look on my face may have indicated that I had realized I was in over my head.

Luckily as a physical therapist we have to measure angles all the time (usually to see if people are regaining their range of motion in a joint, e.g. shoulder, knee or ankle). So I used a goniometer (see picture) to find the angles I need as well as a quick consultation with the omniscient 'google'.



Again I thought I was on top of things until I realized the brain twister of how to place the crown in order to get the correct cut. It is not really that difficult but when you are getting play by play commentary from a 2 and 5 year old with questions about the scary machine and comments like "Daddy, I don't think you know what you are doing" or "I bet gramdpa or chad would be done by now" (courtesy of Shara) it is not too hard to get frustrated. Jane was kind enough to give me her opinion as well which consisted of "It's too loud!!!" "Scary!!! Scary!! Stop it daddy!!"

Nonetheless, my determination was fierce and focused. By the time I was finished it was dark, the girls had in bed for a while, my neighbors were grateful the noise finally came to an end, and no blood had been shed. Success.



Hanging it was fun too, not nearly as hard and the crown looks great!! Ta da'!! It may have taken a few tries though (see below) :]

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I would have suggested that you consult the guy on the corner who use to wave at us. No judgment would ever come from him. Only sound, perfect, and practical information. But you did it yourself Mike. That's all that matters.

Stacy said...

Way to go Mike, it looks great!

Scotty B said...

If you really want to feel like a man I suggest you take bryan and go to the Rocky Mountain Speedway... "napkins flying in the air, bandanas, white trash, jet engines, methanol, etc."